Local start time: 13:00
Hours spent reading: 0
Books finished: 0
I’m so excited that Dewey’s 24 Hour Readathon has come round once again! Snacks at the ready, books primed and ready to go. Even better, Monday is a bank holiday in the UK so I have a whole day to recover.
Expect updates every 4 hours or so and I’ll be trying to post on Instagram too. I am hosting a mini-challenge at hour 22, so do pop back if you’re awake.
Remember to have fun, it is not a competition.
Reading for Charity
It’s hard to believe in 2017 there are British families going hungry. And with inflation creeping up, it’s only going to get worse. Unfortunately the government doesn’t feel responsible for making sure people don’t starve and so food banks across the country are run by amazing charities such as the Trussell Trust.
Over 1,182,000 three day emergency food supplies were given to people in crisis in the past year – 436,000 to children.
Snacks are as big a part of readathon as the actual reading, so I think it is a fitting charity to support. For each hour I read and each book I finish, I will donate £1 to the Trussell Trust.
If you’d like to donate too, find out how on their website. I don’t have a Just Giving page as I’m aware the readathon has other fundraising goals, but I’d rather donate to something close to home. Alternatively, a lot of supermarkets now have a food bank donation point, where you can drop off canned and dried goods when you do your shopping. Some supermarkets will also match your donations.
Their website also includes information on how to get help if you find yourself without enough money to buy food.
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? The edge of the New Forest (it’s actually quite old) in Hampshire, England.
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? The Dream Thieves as I read the first Raven Cycle book last readathon.
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? Bread made by my lovely boyfriend with some butter and hard goats cheese. Yum!
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! I’ve been blogging 6 years and this is my 12th readathon. I read a bit of everything but mostly science fiction, fantasy, young adult and non-fiction on subjects that intrigue me (or are just plain odd). I will be readathoning with my 9 month old labrador, Scully (yes, named after The X-Files).
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? I pretty much have a routine now but I have got prepared with some instagram photos so I can update easily on Instagram.
Have fun fellow reader! I'm hoping to last the whole time this year so I will be dropping by later 🙂 Good Luck!
Wow it's about time to start reading. I've done 24 hour charity events before, but this will be my first Readathon! Looking forward to it.
Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno
Yes I'm commenting on an old blog post. I like to go through and read allllllllllllll the Readathon posts.
Anyway, I just wanted to say two things:
#1. I like how you created a picture of your stack of books and they appear to be floating. How does one DO that?
#2. I love goat cheese but have never seen anything but the soft, mushy kind. Did not know they make hard goat cheese!
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Follow Curiosity Killed the Bookworm on WordPress.com
Hope you have a blast! Enjoy the read-a-thon, and your books!